Autism Spectrum Disorder
Welcome to the Autism Spectrum Disorder website. Who is this site designed for: parents, professionals, friends or relatives? The hope is that it will be of help to everyone who is affected by this Pervasive Developmental Disorder.
The parents of a child newly diagnosed with ASD have plenty of questions as do parents who have been dealing with this disorder for many years. We encourage parents and professionals to email us with ideas and success stories. The intent of the website is to have information on therapy, education, books, videos, toys as well as Autism symptoms, Asperger’s Syndrome definition and everything else that falls under Autism Spectrum Disorder.
As parents of a child with ASD, we have found plenty of information through a variety of facts. Our intention is to share the facts as well as to present a positive spin on this complex disorder.
What is Autism Spectrum Disorder? There is no exact definition as it varies in degree hence the spectrum. ASD is basically a condition where an individual has a hard time relating to the world in the same way others do. Communication is a huge problem. Often, Autistic children are non-verbal but can, over time, develop their speech. It is very difficult for the individual to relate to others in a social situation. Outbursts are common for an Autistic person.
We are often asked if someone affected by the Autism Spectrum Disorder has emotions. The answer is yes. It may present itself at different times but our son has shown a big range of emotions to us.
We encourage you to explore this site as you will see examples of this and much more. Please, feel free to contact us by asking questions or sharing stories.
- What is Autism?
- What is Autism? Autism is a pervasive developmental disorder that affects the way an individual with Autism communicates with the world. It affects the way the brain processes information.
- Autism Treatments
- There are many types of Autism treatments available including: Applied Behavior Analysis, PECS and Music Therapy. We will look at these and other forms of Autism therapy.
- Autism Medication
- Autism medication can sometimes be used or recommended for children or adult with ASD. What should I look for as a parent?
- Activities for Autistic children
- Parent ideas for fun activities for Autistic children.
- Teaching Autistic Children
- Teaching Autistic children can be both rewarding and challenging. The following resources will be helpful to teachers as well as parents of children with Autism or Aspergers.
- Autism Jewelry
- Autism jewelry is not only beautiful but it is also used to promote the awareness of Autism. The symbol of puzzle pieces are often used in the design of Autism jewelry.
- What is PDD?
- What is PDD? PDD consists of the Autistic Disorder, Asperger's, Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, Rett's Disorder and Pervasive Developmental Disorder not othewise specified.
- Aspergers Syndrome
- Aspergers Syndrome is a pervasive developmental disorder which falls under Autism Spectrum Disorder. Asperger Syndrome and definition of this PDD can be found here.
- Rett's Syndrome
- Rett's Syndrome is a neurological disorder primarily affecting females. Normal development takes place until 6-18 months before Rett's disorder symptoms are observed.
- Fragile X syndrome and symptoms
- Fragile X syndrome and symptoms have many similarities to Autism. As many as 30% of children with Fragile X have Autism.
- Shopping for Autistic Children
- Shopping for children can be difficult at times but shopping for Autistic children can be quite challenging! So, we have provided you with ideas, suggestions as well as useful links to help you out!
- Recommended links on Autism
- Contact Us
- Are you a parent of a child with Autism Spectrum Disorder? Do you have any comments or suggestions about our content? Feel free to contact us!
- The sitemap is a tool that you can use to locate easily all topics related to Autism and other PDD, on this site.
- This is Autism Spectrum Disorder's Privacy Statement.